Welcome to AGSH. A wargaming blog dedicated to my Dad and the world's most noble hobby; collecting toy soldiers. Here toy soldiers clash in great battles from scales of 3mm to 54mm. Also the historical records of the imaginary states of the 6mm Republic of Prussia, the Kingdom of Aksum, the Principality of Huack, the Khedivate of Turkoslavia and the Duchy of Saxe-Huack.

"Truly it can be said of him, without count are his soldiers & beyond measure his might." - Prince Edward in reference to Lord Butler & his invasion force departing London for Mars.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

15mm Colonials - Test Game of New Home Rules

I have had the notion in mind for quite some time to come up with a division level set of home solo-wargame rules. But I can't seem to wrap my mind around each unit being a battalion vice a company. Anyway I've been reading a lot of other wargames and books and thought I had come up with a pretty good mesh of ideas/mechanics. However my "plans didn't survive first contact with the enemy." 

The "to hit" mechanic is straightforward for a solo-wargamer. Roll a d6 and score a target goal. Said score inflicts a single fatigue point hit on the target unit.  A command point is required to remove the hit otherwise any unit with a FP has it's capabilities nerfed.  

I had thought that each force would have a set amount of command points to activate units and rally away fatigue points (hits) but this really cripples a force once the bullets start flying. I do want it to have a tactical impact but not one that causes a side to lose completely to it. The Zulus as they drew nearer to the British line were unable to move enough of their units due to the activation spent rallying a hit unit. However that may be more accurate than I think. Perhaps I should increase the foot movement for certain types of forces, like the Zulus.

Further playtesting and more reading is required.





2 comments:

Don M said...

solo war games are always a bit tricky, take a look at http://gameofmonth.blogspot.com/

he has a few good ideas

Brigadier General said...

Thank you Don, will do.